Reading through Instagram’s Insights can be a really confusing place, even for the most well-seasoned Instagram pro. Although they include a “What does this mean?” section, a quick read through of their terminology descriptions will make you feel like you’re taking crazy pills. Insights are an incredibly powerful tool in shaping a smart Instagram strategy, however, so it’d be a damn shame to let them go to waste.
Because they provide concrete, unbiased data, Instagram’s analytics are crucial for determining if your current strategy is working or if it’s time to adjust.
Below, you’ll see my breakdown of all things Instagram analytics in easy-to-understand terminology.
Phew. Let’s do this.
- Followers: The number of people following your account.
- Impressions: The number of times all of your posts have been seen.
- Reach: The number of accounts that saw any of your posts (repeat views are not counted).
- Profile visits: How many times your profile was visited.
- Website clicks / Call clicks / Email clicks: How many times the website, call, or email links in your bio were clicked.
- Impressions: The overall number of times a post has been seen.
- Reach: The number of accounts that saw a post (repeat views are not counted).
- Likes: The number of accounts that liked a post.
- Comments: The number of comments.
- Saved: The number of accounts that saved your post.
- Engagement: The number of accounts that liked, saved, or commented on a post.
- Views: The number of views (for video posts).
- Impressions: The number of times a photo or video has been seen in your story.
- Reach: The number of accounts that saw a particular photo or video in your story (repeat views are not counted).
- Exits: The number of times someone exited your story.
- Replies: The number of replies to a particular photo or video in your story.
- People insights: The list of accounts that have seen a particular photo or video in your story.
The Bottom Line:
Just because there's a bit of a growth curve doesn't mean you should avoid Insights altogether.
You can mine this data for tons of valuable info to better comprehend your brand’s performance and where adjusting may improve results.
Let me be your social media freakout filter and join my private FB community, where I keep track of and break down social media news so you don’t have to.
Did this help demystify some of the Instagram jargon? What’s your favorite IG analytics feature? Tell me in the comments!