Your morning routine sets the tone for your whole day. If you wake up like Garfield, you’re not going to have a Beyoncé day. Try these simple tricks for three nights and see if you notice a shift.
- Sleep with your phone outside the bedroom. I know, I know… it’s fun to lay in bed and stalk the stars of Vanderpump Rules on Instagram, but it’s seriously messing with your sleep cycle. And you deserve to wake up feeling refreshed. Take it further by not checking your phone (email and social media) for at least a half hour after waking. This little sacred space will help you ground and prep for whatever is coming your way.
- Drink a cup of hot lemon water on an empty stomach. Stimulate your digestive system and boost hydration to get that glowing feeling from the inside out. Side bonus: there’s something meditative about routine that creates a calming effect.
- Check in with yourself through meditation or breathing. It doesn’t have to be anything extravagant, but try to take at least 3 big, deep breaths in the quiet morning before your wheels start turning. A few mindful breaths can set the tone for a calm, productive, happy day. Take time to feel great in your body before your brain steps in and tries to run the show. If you’re a morning mover, check out my favorite morning yoga flow here.
4. Feed. This one is my favorite. Treat yourself to a nourishing, sustaining breakfast. I like a big chia bowl with flax seeds, fresh fruit, greek yogurt, cacao nibs, and a little nut butter. If I feel like I’ve treated myself right first, I’m more patient and productive all day (hanger is real).
5. Make a list… or two. One of what you need to accomplish today and one of what you’d like to accomplish today. And then prioritize. Get it out of your head and onto paper to free up some mental space for all the great ideas you’re about to have.
Get out there and SLAY.
How did it go for you? Let me know in the comments below!